• Home
  • News
  • Man United held to 1-1 draw by Newcastle at home

News & Views

Man United held to 1-1 draw by Newcastle at home

Updated: November 26, 2011, 13:45

Newcastle United's manager Alan Pardew, center, congratulates captain Fabrizio Coloccini after their 1-1- draw against Manchester United in their English Premier League soccer match at Old Trafford Stadium, Manchester, England, Saturday Nov. 26, 2011. (AP Photo/Jon Super)

MANCHESTER, England(AP) Manchester United conceded a contentious penalty after a linesman intervened to draw 1-1 with Newcastle at Old Trafford on Saturday, dealing a blow to its bid to retain the Premier League title.

United defender Rio Ferdinand was judged to have brought down Hatem Ben Arfa in the 61st minute, although replays suggested the England international had made a perfectly legal tackle.

Referee Mike Jones appeared happy to award a corner but linesman John Flynn indicated a penalty should be awarded, causing several angry United players to surround the match officials.

Demba Ba kept his composure to convert the spot kick after a two-minute delay, drawing Newcastle level after United striker Javier Hernandez's 49th-minute goal.

"I didn't think anyone in the ground thought it was a penalty apart from the assistant referee. The referee thought it was a corner. He was nearer to it. He was only eight yards away,'' United manager Alex Ferguson said. "The problem is that the referees are full-time and the linesmen are not, and whether he ever gets a game again, the assistant referee, is not for me to decide but it was an absolutely shocking decision.

"I know what everyone's view was, including the referee's. He said he thought Ferdinand touched it and won the ball and he gave a corner kick. But he let the linesman overrule him. You knew that right away. We had a situation a few weeks ago when the linesman gave a penalty kick for handball but the referee knew what to do and overruled him. That's what the referee should have done today.''

Newcastle played the last 12 minutes with 10 men after Jonas Gutierrez was shown a second yellow card for a foul on Patrice Evra.

Hernandez had a goal disallowed for offside in the fourth minute of stoppage time, ensuring second-place United is four points behind Manchester City and having played one match more.

Tottenham won 3-1 at West Bromwich Albion to rise to third, two points behind United with one match in hand on the defending champions.

At Old Trafford, there had been little indication of the drama to come following an open, if slightly pedestrian, first half. Three minutes after the restart, however, United was in front following a foul by Steven Taylor on Hernandez just outside the Newcastle penalty area.

Wayne Rooney's free kick hit the opposition wall and his second shot was blocked Steven Taylor, but the ball struck Hernandez and ricocheted into the back of the goal.

That appeared to inspire United and the hosts started to create chances. Fullback Fabio powered forward but shot over the crossbar, then Ashley Young's corner was helped on by Nani for Rooney to head over from six yards.

But there were warning signs from the visitors. Yohan Cabaye's corner was well kept in by Taylor at the far post, and Fabricio Coloccini's downward shot drew a spectacular block from goalkeeper David de Gea.

Then came the contentious penalty, although United responded impressively with Rooney making room for himself before shooting over.

Nani then strode away from Cabaye to cross the ball into the area. Young appeared about to score before a desperate covering tackle by Taylor.

Gutierrez clumsily fouled Nani in the 78th and was sent off, having already been booked 14 minutes earlier for a foul on Hernandez.

Ryan Giggs' resulting free kick found Nemanja Vidic, whose header was superbly kept out by goalkeeper Tim Krul, who did even better in the 83rd minute when he used both hands to turn Patrice Evra's 18-yard shot around the post.

The pressure continued late into the game with Nani crossing to Young, who steadied himself before shooting against the foot of the post. Four minutes from time, Newcastle defender Danny Simpson somehow managed to clear Hernandez's header off the line.

Hernandez looked to have scored the winner but the linesman waved the Mexico international offside, further infuriating manager Alex Ferguson and his players.

Why Join Us?

We combine great social networking and excellent content, all in one place!

  • Interests

    Choose the interests you want to follow
  • Community

    Connect with friends and other sports fans
  • Content

    News, Views, Equipment Reviews, Contests & Deals
Join Now

Are you a coach?